Safety is our #1 priority!
Tristar Transportation Co. follows strict guidelines issued by the Ohio Department of Education. We not only follow their driver screening processes, but also adhere to their policies, procedures and reporting requirements.
In most cases, Tristar goes beyond what is required of us and our drivers to ensure we are getting the best qualified candidates for our special needs students.
Here’s a list of requirements that must be met in order for a driver to work for us:
- A stringent Background Check with a fingerprint FBI/BCI screening and Sex Offender Registries
- A review of their Lifetime Driving Abstract
- Pre-employment Drug Screen as well as random, reasonable suspicion and post accident screenings once they are on board
- Pre-employment Driving Test
- Yearly Bus Driver Physicals
- Successful completion of the Ohio Department of Education training, our Tristar training and annual in-service classes.
We have handicap accessible vans in our fleet, which can accommodate 1 to 3 wheelchairs, plus 1 to 3 additional passengers. Our handicap vans fully comply with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), and Qualified Vehicle Modifier (QVM) standards.
Our vans’ safety features include:
- A variety of secured wheelchair locations and ambulatory seating
- 30/20 tested wheelchair & occupant belt systems
- FMVSS compliant bench and/or folding seating
- Integrated wheelchair lift safety interlock system (ADA)
- Rear heat and air conditioning
- Back-up alarms
- Lift capacity of 800lbs
- Adjustable anti-rattle feature to avoid unpleasant noise in the vehicle during transit
- Dual handrails provide added security for wheelchair users and standees
- Visual and audible warnings alert both passengers and attendants to unsafe conditions
- Rubberized wheelchair flooring
- Self-tensioning retractor wheelchair restraints with lap and shoulder belts
Tristar Transportation Co. invests in safety and efficiency with a robust on-board computer system installed in every Tristar vehicle. Zonar is a state of the art satellite system that is used in many school buses today. The Zonar on board computer tracks vehicle locations using GPS and communicates vehicle and driver performance information captured through the engine’s electronic system. Tristar monitors idle times, vehicle speeds, vehicle locations and other on board events.This up to the minute data helps ensure efficient scheduling, timeliness and increases the safety awareness for all drivers. For more information about Zonar visit, www.zonarsystems.com.
Since safety is always at the forefront of everything we do at Tristar, we are in the process of installing video monitoring in all of our cars and vans. This is a common practice today in the transportation industry and one that gives all of us peace of mind.
All Tristar drivers carry a push to talk radio/phone. This ensures that the Tristar office can maintain constant communication with our drivers and clients.